Because there is little FDA-approved research done on CBD that can guide professionals in dictating doses, how should you determine the right dose of hemp oil for you? In addition, how do you figure out the CBD oil strength per dose of your hemp product of choice? (Our shop has done some of the work for you. If you click on “Potency” in the STORE, you will see the different potency ranges and which supplements fall into each category.)
CBD Oil Strength — What is Right for Me?
Many people assume that a stronger, more potent, dose is better for most conditions. This actually is not always the case. Everyone’s body is different, and everyone’s health concerns are different. Sometimes, a greater dose may actually have the opposite effect of what you are seeking. In other words, if 10 mg of CBD relaxes you, you might assume that 50 mg would relax you even more. However, you may find that a higher dose actually stimulates you. “An excessive amount of CBD could be less effective therapeutically than a moderate dose.” (projectcbd.org) So, it is important to really pay attention to your body’s personal response and reaction to varying doses.
Another factor to consider is whether you have an acute concern (e.g., sprained ankle) or a chronic concern. Acute problems often need a stronger dose of any treatment initially, which can then be reduced or eliminated over time. Chronic concerns (something ongoing) may require smaller doses more regularly. Since doctors are not currently prescribing CBD for medical ailments, if you are interested in CBD’s benefits, you will have to pay attention to how the supplement works for you.
CBD Potency — How do I Calculate this?
Calculating CBD potency can seem confusing at first.
Because a bottle of hemp oil will say “450 mg,” this may lead you to believe the strength of the supplement is 450 mg. However, the amount of CBD listed on the bottle is the amount contained in the entire bottle. This means you have to divide these milligrams by the quantity of servings in the bottle. In other words, if the bottle contains 30 softgels, and the bottle is 450 mg, the CBD oil strength per softgel is 450/30 = 15 mg per softgel.
Our shop has taken care of most of the guesswork and mathematical calculations. On each product listing, where relevant, we have included the potency of one dose (as defined by that particular supplement). In addition, we have a category within our shop called “Potency.” This category breaks our product options down into different degrees of potency.
Another factor to consider is that CBD isolates require higher doses to be effective than whole plant CBD-rich extracts. This is an example of a CBD isolate. This is an example of a product that is a full-spectrum or whole plant extract.
Enjoying Your CBD
The following recommendations are edited from those on www.projectcbd.org:
- Decide on the method you want to use to ingest hemp oil. You can find CBD oil as sprays, capsules, edibles, tinctures and other products.
- Start with a lower CBD strength/CBD potency, particularly if you have limited experience with cannabis.
- Divide your dose into smaller doses over the course of the day rather than taking one large dose of hemp oil.
- Take the same dose for several days. Note your body’s response and adjust the ratio or amount, if needed.
- Don’t overdo the CBD oil strength. “Less is more” can often be the case with hemp oil/CBD therapeutics.
- Know about possible side effects. CBD is a safe and forgiving supplement. However, depending on how you took in your hemp oil and your personal tolerance level, it can amplify anxiety and mood disorders. Other side effects can include dry mouth, dizziness and faintness. Pay attention to your body’s response to what you are taking.
- Check with your health advisor. If you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse, mental illness, or are pregnant or breastfeeding it is wise to proceed with caution and seek advice from a professional.